Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan's Worst Earthquake Ever

Yesterday my husband and I were here to witness history as Japan experienced what is being said as its worst earthquake in recorded history. This is thought to be even larger than the earthquake in 1717 that later caused Mount Fuji to erupt.

At 2:45 pm on Friday afternoon Brett and I were recovering from my night in the hospital. I had been hospitalized the day previously for severe abdominal pain in my right side that turned out to be kidney stone. Brett was allowed to stay home with me after I was released on Friday due to the large amounts of medications that I was on. After we got home around noon, Brett helped to get me comfortable and at the time of the earthquake we were laying down for a nap in our room. The shaking started and I woke immediately. I woke Brett up and both of us knew that this was a huge earthquake. We put our shoes and jackets on and headed down the stairs to the outdoor playground outside our building where others were gathering. During the next couple hours earthquakes were almost constant and the first major 8.9 earthquake was soon followed up by a two 7.0 range earthquakes. We decided to return to our apartment to collect our documentation and some supplies and decided to wait until word came for what we were to do. About an hour and a half later one of the military police came to us and told us that we were to expect many more earthquakes throughout the day but it was safe to return to our apartments. When we re-entered our apartment we found that many of our pictures had fallen and some other items had also been thrown about. We took as many precautions as we could in our powerless home. We took down the remaining pictures, filled the bathtub, and packed a better bag to take with us if the need arose. Then we waited. Earthquakes were literally every few minutes and although none we nearly as strong as the first three, they were nonetheless scary. As of now, we are still experiencing some shaking. As I type there is another earthquake.

Brett is off to work today and unsure what the day will hold for him. There is no word on what the plans are for us as Americans here in Japan. We are safe but shaken. I just pray that it does not get worse than it already is. Keep us and those who are experiencing so much worse than us in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment