Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Japan Has Earthquakes

Click here for video about the March 9 quake in Japan

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2011/03/08/bpr.lah.japan.earthquake.cnn

If you did not know, yes there is a very active fault line that effects Japan pretty regularly. Today I got the chance to experience my first earthquake here. It was small and mild here in the Ikego housing area but lasted around 30 seconds. At the epicenter it was a 7.2. That's big! I don't know about you, but I am not a fan. Growing up in Southern California I have dealt with my fair share of earthquakes and I know what damage they can do. In fact the Whittier earthquake in the late 80's actually got my house to slide down a hill. Are earthquakes scary...heck yes. But one good thing to know is that Japan, just like CA has done its preparation for the natural events. Hills are reinforced, buildings are retro fitted and they have a system in place to help those who need it. I would much rather live here in Japan or California, a place that works to be prepared, than somewhere else that is not.

So what can you do to prepare for a natural occurrence like this?

One of the best things you could do is pack a 72 hour kit for each person in your household. Click here for a link to a list of items you should consider including in your kit. One great thing about being a military family is that the military is prepared for these things to happen and will do their best to take care of you and your family. BUT keep in mind, if you leave it up to them to help you, you may be waiting a couple of days before they get to you. There are thousands of people on the base.

Know the Red Cross number and talk to them to find out what you can do. The Red Cross is how members of our families can get in touch with service members in times of emergency.

Think about having a food supply that can sustain your family until help is reached.

I know, all these tips are for the worse case scenario, but do you really want to be unprepared if that time ever does come? I know I don't, especially in a foreign land.

For any questions or comments please email me at navywifeinjapan@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment