Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I am here!

I arrived in the beautiful country of Japan yesterday evening at 5:45pm Japan time, that would be 1:45am for all my friends back at home. My flight was wonderful and was a lot easier than I anticipated. It ended up only being 10 and a half hours instead of 11 1/2 which was a very happy surprise. I had the whole row to myself and the flight was comprised of about half Americans and half Japanese. We were served lunch and dinner and were each given a blanket, pillow and socks so that we would be more comfortable. Anyone who flies knows how cold planes normally are but this flight was at room temperature the whole time so the sweats that I had worn on the flight were definite over kill. I slept for about two hours and watched a couple of movies on my own private screen set up in the head rest. I got up and walked around every couple of hours and stretched out.

As we were approaching Japan I was able to see the beautiful landscape of this country. There were a lot of farms and beautiful forests that I was not expecting. Everything is very grouped together and not mixed at all. If it is housing, that is all there is. If it is a forest, there are only trees. I didn't get to see Tokyo for my view but what I did see I loved.

As I walked off of the plane I felt the heat and humidity immediately. Everything feels like someone left a hot shower on. I walked through the massive airport and headed to customs. Luckily many of the signs we also in English and I found my way pretty easily. One thing that is hugely different is how quiet things are. Never will you hear a child screaming or a loud group of people making a ruckus. All conversations are kept low so that you are not imposing on anyone else. Let me tell you, the politeness of this country has already won me over. Customs was quick and easy and I walked down the hallway to find my wonderful husband waiting for me. I almost cried when I saw him again. At four months, this has been our longest time apart and defiantly the hardest because we never knew when we would see each other again. We had an hour before the bus was to pick us up so was bought a drink (a lemon flavored soda) and headed outside to wait. If I thought it was hot in the airport, outside was far worse. Brett had told me it cooled down over the past week and I was expecting something more like a warm day in CA. No this was more like the hottest day in CA with the humidity of the east coast. He told me that I will get used to it and not notice it after a while.

We took the bus back to base and I was able to see some of the sights. It was dark so much of what there was to see would have to wait for another day. One great thing I did see though was Tokyo tower. It looks a lot like what the Eiffel tower looks like except red and white.

Back on base we went to our room and I turned on the air to full blast....ummmmm, I thought it was broken, but no, that was it. Hahaha the air here is not what is back at home but by morning I was able to appreciate it for what it is. It helps and takes the edge of the heat and humidity.

I signed up for my orientation that I will attend next week. Tonight we are going to get real Ramon...not the stuff that comes out of a plastic package. I am so excited. Brett also has a baseball game planned to take me to on Sunday. I cannot wait. I wish I could post pictures but until we get our computer back I probably wont be able to.

I hope all is well back at home and I already miss everyone. I am so happy to be here though and I am excited to make this my home. I send my love and happiness to all my friends and loved ones. Until next time, stay well and happy.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful update.....I'm hanging on every word. How is Thurgy adjusting to his new home? Can't wait to hear how housing is going & where you & Brett are staying. My love to you & Brett always, xoxo, Grandma

    ReplyDelete